Auburndale Realty Company
- January 24, 2018, Auburndale Realty completed an office lease representing Brookline Bank's Special Deposit Division for 1031 Services at 25 Braintree Hill Office Park, Braintree, MA. The office lease was for 3,681 sf. During the Fall of 2017 Brookline Bank engaged Auburndale Realty as its corporate broker for office space for its special deposit divisions.
- Spring/Fall, 2017 engaged for litigation support and expert testimony on four separate court cases involving commercial real estate; partner disputes, tenant-landlord lease dispute and broker-buyer disputes located on the North Shore, MetroWest and Boston.
- During September, 2017 Rob Nahigian was invited to speak at a number of industry regional commercial real estate events throughout Canada and the U.S. as an industry subject matter expert and commercial industry thought-leader. On Sept. 13, Rob delivered the SIOR national designation program "Art of Negotiating Commercial Real Estate" in Charlotte, NC at the Omni Hotel. On Sept. 18, the SIOR E. Canada Chapter invited Rob as its annual keynote speaker on the topic of "Highest and Best Use Methodology" held at the Oxford Conference Center, Montreal. On Sept. 22, Rob then delivered "Build-to-Suit Development" and "Commercial Lease Analysis: When to Hold and When to Fold" for the New Orleans Metropolitan Association of Realtors Commercial Division in Metairie, LA. The the South Carolina CCIM Chapter had Rob speak in Charleston, SC on Sept. 28 on "Evaluating Leasing Risk with a Corporate Tenant's Financial Statement." Finally on Dec. 6, Rob spoke at TriplePlay at the Atlantic City Convention Center on "National Economic Trends in Commercial Real Estate" and "Commercial Brokerage Due Diligence Chaos."
- Summer/Fall 2017 Providing counseling services on a 400,000 sf commercial portfolio sale for a private equity owner for $40 million.
- Sept. 2017, Provided counseling services on the sale of 3 medical condominiums in Waltham, MA. Rob Nahigian, FRICS, SIOR, CRE, MCR of Auburndale Realty Co., Newton, Mass. counseled the sale of two medical office condominiums at 20 Hope Avenue, Waltham, MA on September 15, 2017. The seller was a family trust with Karen Shields of Newton, MA as the Trustee and the buyer was Kuchnir Realty LLC. The Waltham Medical Office Building condominiums are adjacent to Children’s Hospital in the Waltham-Weston medical area. The selling price was $166,000 for the two units. Rob Nahigian served as the real estate counselor on behalf of the seller and is advising on the disposition of a group of medical condominiums owned by the seller. Rob served at the Real Estate Counselor for the seller.
- December, 2016, Rob Nahigian and Auburndale Realty Co. completed the lease renewal of 42,500 sf of warehouse space to PAK Technologies at 95 Fitchburg Road, Ayer, Mass. Rob represented the landlord, Groton-Ayer Realty Trust. PAK Technologies provides comprehensive blending, packaging and distribution services as well as deicing at Logan airport.
- At the SIOR 2016 Fall World Conference in NYC, Rob was recognized as its newest member of the coveted Legacy Circle. The Legacy Circle is for members who have served 30 years or longer as a member of SIOR. Rob earned his designation May, 2016. SIOR has 3,000 designees and was created at the request of the US War Department in 1941 for industrial brokers finding sites for factories in the WWII war cause.
- Auburndale Realty Co. and Rob Nahigian are honored to announce, with cooperating SIOR broker, Bob Cleary, now with Colliers International of Boston, that it has closed on one of the most impactful industrial/manufacturing leases in the City of Boston with JC Cannistraro LLC of Watertown, MA. The industrial lease culminates a 2.5 year process of tenant advisory assignment for JC Cannistraro, a mechanical contracting company, in search of a 150-200,000 square foot manufacturing facility. Over 100 sites, land and buildings were surveyed from New Hampshire and Massachusetts and eventually 25 Fid Kennedy, Boston was selected. The site is owned by EDIC and the Boston Redevelopment Authority near Boston's Seaport. The building is approximately 160,000 sf and served as an U.S. Army ammunition facility during WW II. After 1.5 years of designation awards and lease negotiations with EDIC, BRA, the City of Boston and the Mayor's Office, a 178 page lease with a 70 year control period was executed on August 31, 2016. Over 140 new jobs will be immediately added with aspirations to include over 400 jobs in total over time.
- Auburndale Realty Co. is pleased to announce that its principal, Rob Nahigian, FRICS, SIOR, CRE, MCR of Auburndale Realty Co., Newton, Mass. on June 17, 2016 was re-appointed by the Mass. Real Estate Licensing Commission/Real Estate Board to its Education Subcommittee. Rob received a confirmation letter from Executive Director Ann-Margarette Barry to inform him of the re-appointment. The Education Subcommittee reviews and recommends to the State’s Executive Director and Associate Executive Director the continuing educational requirements to remain a real estate licensed salesperson and/or broker. The Ed Subcommittee also recommends hours required for educational requirements for all licensing issues and approves any new courses submitted by the public for review. They make recommendations to the course content and outline format both for residential and commercial real estate licensing practitioners. Rob will be serving as the representative involved in commercial real estate. He has been periodically working with the Ed Subcommittee since 1998 and in the last 5 years has developed voluntarily and submitted over 37 CE commercial courses. Ms. Barry indicated that the members of the Real Estate License Board expressed their sincere thanks and deep appreciation to serve the Board and help to ensure that licensed real estate agents deliver quality assistance to their clients and customers in a professional manner. Rob’s service will also enhance the ability of the Board to protect consumers in the Commonwealth in the practice of real estate brokering. Rob will be serving a one year term.
--- During the Spring of 2016, Rob Nahigian, FRICS, SIOR, CRE, MCR of Auburndale Realty Co., Newton, Mass. was invited and spoke at a number of regional commercial real estate events throughout the U.S. as an industry subject matter expert and commercial industry leader.
Rob delivered the program “Commercial Lease Negotiations: When Know to Hold and Know When to Fold” to the Greenville (SC) Association of Realtors Commercial Division on March 11, 2016. Over 60 of the top commercial brokers, SIOR and CCIM members attended this full morning event in Greenville, SC. The course dissected the top 5 commercial lease clause issues for a landlord and for a tenant in today’s turbulent world of commercial lease negotiations. The lender’s perspective was incorporated into the subject issues as well and the pros and cons were debated.
On April 26, 2016, the Central Massachusetts Association of Realtors Commercial Alliance engaged Rob to present the new NAR Commercial course “Discovering Commercial Real Estate.” This four hour program was delivered in Auburn, MA at the Board’s office and covered all phases of commercial real estate from marketing, to investment trends, industrial real estate and leasing nuances. This course was presented to new commercial brokers and was a good refresher for the seasoned attendees.
Rob taught his Boston University Executive Semester Course “Commercial Lease Analysis” from April 29-May1, 2016 to industry real estate practitioners. The course was delivered at Boston University in a 28 hour format to a sold out class and included industry experts from both Brookline Bank, Stonewood Co., and former directors from SunMicro and Fidelity. The course dives into 55 commercial lease clauses from the perspective of the landlord, tenant and lender as well as the leasing process and financing/investment implications. The class attendees included real estate lenders, real estate directors of end-users, New England developers and brokers.
Rob then was invited to deliver “From Shanghai to Your Shelf” on May 4, 2016 for the Seattle Commercial Broker’s Association and the SIOR Washington Chapter. Over 60 attendees were present from economic developers to the premier industrial brokers and developers. Rob also toured the Seattle Port on a private presentation made to him in preparation for this presentation. His 4 hour CE approved program was delivered to its members in downtown Seattle (see photo). The presentation reveils how corporations use mathematical formulas in the site selection decision-making in the world of logistics/supply chain when importing from Shanghai to U.S. distribution centers and retail locations. Over 280 slides include presentations of a dozen U.S ports, inland ports, intermodal pros and cons, 3PL, logistic hubs and internal building technology that has revolutionized industrial real estate. This high powered presentation based on proprietary research has been highly touted and presented to over 20 SIOR, CCIM chapters and Commercial Boards nationwide.
Rob again delivered “From Shanghai to Your Shelf” on June 8, 2016 for the Houston Association of Realtors and the SIOR Houston/Gulf Coast Chapter. The Port of Houston sponsored this event and over 55 attendees were presents. Rob also toured the Houston Port on a private presentation made to him in preparation for this presentation. His 3 hour CE approved program was delivered at the Briar Club in Houston (see photo).
On June 13, 2016 in Philadelphia, Rob delivered to prospective SIOR members at the SIOR National Designation courses, “Synergistic Sales Skills.” This course is an elective for the premier commercial brokers that are in the process of obtaining their SIOR national designation. The course was held in downtown Philadelphia at the Hyatt Bellevue.
- On June 9, 2016, JC Cannistraro, a 50 year manufacturing company and client of Auburndale Realty Co., was awarded Final Designation by the Boston Redevelopment Authority, on the 160,000 square foot former US Army facility in Boston's Seaport area. It is an assignment that Auburndale Realty Co. has been working for over 2.5 years for JC Cannistraro to consolidate 3 Boston area facilities and over 400 employees. It is one of the largest and longest term industrial deals completed in Boston's history.
- On October, 2015 The Counselors of Real Estate elected Rob Nahigian to its National Board of Directors at its Fall Charlotte Annual Conference. His term begins in 2016 to 2018. He recently completed his term as National Vice-Chair Liaison.
-Rob Nahigian, FRICS, SIOR, CRE, MCR of Auburndale Realty Co, Newton, Mass. was recently awarded by the Massachusetts Association of Realtors as the “2015 Massachusetts Real Estate Educator of the Year.” The professional awards recognition was made on Sunday night, September 27, 2015 at the Mass. Association of Realtors State Convention’s Professional Awards & Recognition Dinner with approximately 220 people in attendance. The awards dinner and convention was held at the Double-Tree Hilton Hotel in Danvers, Mass. Annie Blatz, President-Elect announced the recipient of the award from four state-wide finalists. She stated to the audience that the award to Rob was in recognition of his demonstrated commitment to promoting the professional growth of agents and brokers through course instruction, curriculum development, and contributions of academic and/or written work to industry publications.
-During the summer of 2015, Rob Nahigian,FRICS,SIOR,CRE,MCR of Auburndale Realty Co., Newton, Mass. is pleased to announce the office lease of 2,856 RSF by Impact Technical Sales at 60 Mall Rd Burlington, Ma. The property is owned by 50-54-60 Mall Road, LLC and managed by RJ Kelly Co of Burlington, MA. ITS is currently located at 1 NEEP Burlington MA. Rob Nahigian exclusively represented ITS. Mark McLean VP of Asset Manager represented the landlord. The lease was consummated during July 2015 after a 4 month site search and negotiations.
-Rob Nahigian,FRICS,CRE,SIOR,MCR of Auburndale Realty Co., Newton, Mass. is pleased to announce that it has completed a 6 year advisory assignment on 3 projects in Franklin, Mass. during July, 2015. Rob served as the Real Estate Counselor and the counseling assignment collectively pertained to a 4 acre retail site acquired by J&J W. Central Trust, LLC in the spring of 2009 and industrial properties located at 5 and 7 Forge Parkway, Franklin, Mass.
-For the 505 W. Central 4 acre retail site, Rob was engaged as the partnership’s real estate counselor during the summer of 2009 to initially conduct a highest and best use analysis of the former KOC property. The result was a 3 lot retail subdivision located on Rt. 140 near Rt. 495 of which Rob advised on the site design, investment feasibility, and lease negotiations and disposition of the project. Numerous site plan schematics were initially developed for this 4 acre site so that it could be developed into a higher and best use commercial scenario. Numerous commercial and retail tenants had expressed interest in this site and eventually the site was designed into 3 pad lots for free-standing end-users.
-The first tenant that committed to the project was Wendy’s International Hamburgers who agreed to a long-term ground lease and constructed a state-of-the art 2,500 square foot restaurant. This transaction occurred during the Spring of 2012. The second lot sale and user committed during July 2015 and is the anticipated future location of a Midas Auto Service and Tires. Construction has commenced during July, 2015.The final lot was sold during July, 2015 to an investor who acquired the Wendy’s ground lease and the third lot. The investor has not decided on a final plan for the third lot.
-The seller, J&J West Central Realty Trust, LLC had a combined value of $2,050,000 for all transactions. Robert J. Nahigian of Auburndale Realty Co. was their portfolio consultant. Rob was instrumental in subdivision planning and the land lease to Wendy’s Restaurant. Mark Urbanek of Atlantic Commercial was engaged at the broker for lots 2 and 3.
-Rob was also engaged to counsel the partnership on the leasing of its 20,800 square foot industrial building at 7 Forge Parkway and its 65,000 square foot warehouse building at 5 Forge Parkway. The ownership of 7 Forge Parkway, J,J&K Enterprises, was counseled by Rob Nahigian on the leasing of its vacant industrial facility to Happy Tails Doggy Daycare, Inc. The tenant signed a long-term lease for this 20,800 sf building which relocated from 31 Hayward Street in Franklin, Mass. Rick Kaplan of RE/Max was the broker for Happy Tails Doggy DayCare, Inc. The lease negotiations occurred during the fall of 2011 and finalized in the winter of 2012.
-5 Forge Parkway is owned by JD Family Trust and the property comprises of 60,000 square foot warehouse on 9.82 acres. This vacant building was released on a long-term basis to New England Treatment Access, Inc. CBRE was the acting broker on the property. The lease negotiations occurred during the fall of 2013 and finalized in the winter of 2014.
-Auburndale Realty Co. is pleased to announce that its principal Rob Nahigian has been asked to be a key speaker at the CORFAC International real estate convention in Minneapolis on Friday, September 11, 2015. Rob's discussion will be on negotiating strategies in real estate transactions. The convention will be held at the Hilton Hotel in downtown Minneapolis.
-Auburndale Realty Co. is pleased to announce that its principal, Rob Nahigian,FRICS,SIOR,CRE,MCR of Auburndale Realty Co., Newton, Mass. on June 15, 2015 was appointed by the Mass. Real Estate Licensing Commission/Real Estate Board to its Education Subcommittee. Rob received a confirmation letter from Associate Executive Director Ann-Margarette Barry to inform him of the appointment. The Education Subcommittee reviews and recommends to the State’s Executive Director and Associate Executive Director the continuing educational requirements to remain a real estate licensed salesperson and/or broker. The Ed Subcommittee also recommends the hours required for educational requirements for all licensing issues and approves any new courses submitted by the public for review. They make recommendations to the course content and outline format both for residential and commercial real estate licensing practitioners. Rob will be serving as the representative involved in commercial real estate. He has been periodically working with the Ed Subcommittee since 1998 and in the last 4 years has developed voluntarily and submitted over 34 CE commercial courses.
-Ms. Barry indicated that the members of the Real Estate License Board expressed their sincere thanks and deep appreciation to serve the Board and help to ensure that licensed real estate agents deliver quality assistance to their clients and customers in a professional manner. Rob’s service will also enhance the ability of the Board to protect consumers in the Commonwealth in the practice of real estate brokering. Rob will be serving a one year term.
-During the winter and spring of 2015, Rob Nahigian,FRICS,SIOR,CRE,MCR of Auburndale Realty Co., Newton, Mass. was invited and spoke at a number of regional and national commercial real estate events throughout the U.S. as an industry subject matter expert.
-On February 6, Rob spoke at the Society of Industrial and Office Realtors (SIOR) NWFL/ALA/MS/LA Chapter in New Orleans on Synergistic Sales Skills. Over 40 of the top office/industrial brokers from these 4 states attended the Pan Am Conference Center for this 3 hour presentation. Rob presented new ways of marketing to express value to clients and included examples of non-real estate company struggles with competition. On February 12, Rob spoke at the SIOR Oregon Chapter on Commercial Due Diligence on the Sale of Real Estate and Understanding a Corporation’s Financial Statements. The program was held the University Club in downtown Portland. The attendees had a review of due diligence both from as a selling and buying broker. The material than dissected company financials and financial statements to evaluation risk and credit factors in lease negotiations. On February 25, Rob gave his program “From Shanghai to Your Shelf: Industrial Logistics and Supply Chain” to the SIOR E. Tennessee Chapter. This 4 hour CE approved program was delivered to its members in downtown Nashville. Rob discussed the intricacies of the 3rd Panama Canal and the impact on industrial site selection on the east coast, the shift from the west to east coast and corporate mathematical models used internal at corporation’s real estate committee on selecting building and/or land sites. Rob also gave the same presentation, “From Shanghai to Your Shelf” to the Louisiana Industrial Development Executive Association (LIDEA) in Bossier City, LA on March 18. Over 60 members attended this pre-convention seminar. The event was held at the Shreveport-Bossier City Casino and attendees were from various state and county economic development offices, rail roads and utility companies.
-Rob will also be delivering the program “From Shanghai to Your Shelf” on May 21, 2015 for the Charleston Trident Association of Realtors in N. Charleston, SC. Over 90 attendees are expected.
-Additionally Rob taught his Boston University Winter Semester Course “Commercial Lease Document” from January through March, 2015 to industry up and coming real estate practitioners. The same course was also delivered May 1-3 at Boston University in a 28 hour format to a sold out class capped at 25 students. Rob also completed teaching for NAR RealtorU on-line Masters Degree program during the Winter semester, Real Estate Investment: Capitalization and Taxation” and the Spring Semester “Commercial Real Estate Acquisition Management.” He will be teaching the late Spring on-line semester, “Advanced Analytics for Real Estate Investments” and on June 10 in Chicago for the SIOR National Designation courses, “Art of Negotiating” and “Synergistic Sales Skills.”
-Rob Nahigian,FRICS,SIOR,CRE,MCR of Auburndale Realty Co, Newton, Mass. was recently recognized by the New England Chapter of the Society of Industrial and Office Realtors for his 20 plus years serving on its Board of Directors. The recognition took place at its Chapter spring event on April 30, 2015 at 400 5th Avenue, Waltham, Mass. He recently announced to the Chapter President, Don Mancini during the Fall of 2014 that he was retiring from the Board at the end of 2014 after 20 years. During the April Chapter event, Chapter President Don Mancini spoke highly of Rob to the Chapter members about Rob’s involvement during the last 20 years, his contribution advising him as the new Chapter President and his historical in-sight to the Board. Don then handed Rob a beautiful blue colored glass award that stated “With Gratitude for 20 Years of Service and Dedication on the Board of Directors for the New England Chapter of SIOR, 1993-2014.” Rob has served the longest from the Chapter as a Board member.
-Over the last 20 years, Rob has served the Chapter as Education Chair, Chapter President, Chapter Immediate Past President. Board Member and Special Events Coordinator. In addition, he co-chaired with Bob Cleary, the 2001 Boston National SIOR Convention, that immediately followed the September 9, 2011 attacks. Rob has served as well on many national SIOR committees as Chair, Vice-Chair and other officer positions.
-Additionally, after 13 years, Rob announced during the Fall of 2014 to President Neil Schneider of the Boston’s Commercial Brokers Association, that he was retiring from the CBA Board of Directors. He was recognized in a private Board meeting on December 18, 2014 for his years of contribution on the Board. He has served the longest term of CBA on its Board of Directors and has held positions for CBA. Such roles has included: Government Affairs Liaison, Commercial Overlay Task Force, Continuing Education Co-Chair, Member of the Massachusetts Real Estate Licensing Education Subcommittee, Agency Law Task Force Member and Continuing Education GBREB Task Force. He also served as an instructor for CBA CE education, has organized CE panels and/or served on panels on such topics as Commercial Real Estate Ethics, Industrial Logistics & Supply Chain, Investment Real Estate, Due Diligence in Commercial Real Estate, Commercial Tenant Representation, etc.
-Auburndale Realty Co., Newton, Mass. is pleased to announce that in May, 2014, it recently completed an office/lab and industrial corporate brokerage assignment representing DCS of Alexandria, Virginia with The Ezra Co. The lease transaction resulted in the leasing of a total of 41,515 square feet in Devens and Littleton, Massachusetts. Rob Nahigian, FRICS,SIOR,CRE,MCR assisted The Ezra Co, who represents DCS Corporation nationally, in its lease of 27,215 square feet at 295 Foster Street, Littleton, Mass. and 14, 300 square feet at 67 Buena Vista Street, Devens, Mass.
-DCS is a privately held company with over 1000 employees with multiple locations nationally including Alabama, California, Florida, Maryland, Virginia, Ohio, Michigan, New Hampshire and Massachusetts. They provide technology and program management solutions to the Federal Government and will use the facilities to support the U.S. Army’s Tank and Automotive Command and Tank and Automotive Research and Engineering Center. The customers include US Army, US Navy, US Air Force, US Marine Corp and US Coast Guard.
-The landlord for 67 Buena Vista is Aspect Realty and the building broker was O’Brien Commercial. DCS is the sole tenant in this facility that is situated in heart of the Devens Park. The listing broker for 295 Foster Street, Littleton, Mass. was Parsons Commercial and the landlord is Ferris Development. DCS is the first tenant to commit to the 295 Foster Street project that was acquired last fall by Ferris Development of Westborough, Mass. The first class office/R&D building totals approximately 96,515 square feet and DCS has committed to approximately 28% of the building located in the heart of Boston’s hi-tech northwest corridor at the intersection of Rt. 2 and Rt. 495.
-Rob Nahigian has been working with The Ezra Co. and DCS to combine its five Massachusetts locations that are spread out between Waltham and Devens. This relocation allows the company to operate within closer perimeters of each other and allows for more efficient operations. The search had spanned over 1.5 years before the commitment to the two locations.
-June, 2013, Auburndale Realty Co., Newton, Mass. is pleased to announce that it has recently completed an industrial brokerage assignment that resulted in the leasing of 50 Brigham Street, Marlboro, Mass. Rob Nahigian, FRICS,SIOR,CRE,MCR represented A.P. Dawson Realty LLC on the leasing of its 4,060 sf industrial facility to 9 Robert Bonazzoli Avenue Realty Trust. Auburndale Realty Co. was the exclusive broker on this property.
-At the May (2013) National Convention of SIOR, Rob Nahigian, FRICS, SIOR, CRE, MCR of Auburndale Realty Co, Newton, Mass. was awarded as the SIOR “2012 National Real Estate Educator of the Year.” The recognition was made on May 2, 2013 at the National Convention held at the Hyatt Regency Indian Wells, California with approximately 500 people in attendance. He has been awarded this recognition 5 times since its inception in 1990 which is the most times by any SIOR instructor. The recognition is made for his dedication, outstanding service and commitment to the educational process of SIOR by the students of the Society’s designation courses. He achieved the highest evaluation scores from those students during 2012. Rob is also recognized for his demonstrated commitment to promoting the professional growth of brokers through course instruction and curriculum development. He has been an SIOR National instructor since 1986. He has been honored with this award in 1994, 2002, 2003 and 2004. He was also awarded the 2011 Massachusetts Association of Realtors Real Estate Educator of the Year in Massachusetts.
-January, 2013 Rob Nahigian, CRE of Auburndale Realty Co. Newton, Mass. was appointed as the 2013 Chair of the “James Felt Creative Counseling Award” for The Counselors of Real Estate. The committee reviews submissions from fellow Counselors of Real Estate members who believe that they have worked on a real estate consulting project that is of the highest achievement and uniqueness of any counseling assignment in the U.S. James Felt was a prominent real estate pioneer, former Chairman of the New York City Planning Commission and a trustee of many well-known corporate and philanthropic boards. Felt was known for his strong sense of integrity and client accountability in his creative counseling techniques to resolve complex real estate problems. Rob had been honored to have received this award in 2009 and was responsible with his committee to select a recipient for 2013.